Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Fully cooked, and gearing up

Now that we have reached the 37 week, "full-term" mark and the baby has successfully turned head-down, anxiety has begun to give way to relief, and now I just want to meet this kid!!

I find it so fascinating when people are shocked that we wanted to find out the gender of our baby. Some even scoff and say "WHY would you want to find out?" Is this a rhetorical question? I mean -- there are a million reasons why! I fully respect the opposite decision -- I get it completely -- but for me (being a control freak and a major type-A planner) I couldn't wait to find out. To start planning, to start naming, to start bonding, to start knowing! And I don't for a minute buy the argument that the birthday will be any less special, any less exciting, because we already know she is a girl. I still get to find out WHO she is -- what she looks like, who she resembles, what her personality is... everything else. And (unless 3 sonograms have been really really wrong), I won't have to deal with circumcision issues and have been able to do away with half the naming struggle (although we have one boy name just in case, I admit)! So for me -- and I'm ONLY talking about ME here; to each her own -- it was a no-brainer.

(Incidentally, my neighbor is having twins and not finding out the genders, so they have to come up with FOUR names, to cover every scenario! Wowzer.)

With every passing day, my anticipation grows as I get ready to meet her. It's crazy times when you know you're about to come face to face with your very own new best friend, and you know almost nothing about her!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is NOBODYS business whether or not you find out if it is a boy or girl.

As long as you are happy, that's all that matters!

4:06 PM  
Blogger robyn said...

Our families were actually relieved we chose to find out each time since they are so far away. They said they felt like they got to know the babies along the way as a name and a person instead of a random being that way... And I'm just like you. I'm a planner. Not knowing would have driven me nuts. To each their own -- that's why we have the choice!

We're so close now I can hardly stand it! Good luck in the all-too-few days ahead!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home