Saturday, January 15, 2005

Things that make you say "Hmmm."

My very good male friend of many years, S. -- who long ago might have been considered the other (obviously lesser, but we were young and passionate and dramatic) love of my life -- is having a son, 4 months before I am scheduled to give birth to a daughter.

As I pointed out to him today via e-mail, this will be generation #2 of our co-ed friendship. Which, let's face it, for a long time was a lot more complicated than friendship. Now, we just look back and laugh, and we adore each other's spouses, and we acknowledge we would have made a terrible couple... but sometimes we flirt. And a little bit of me still has that teenage crush, I guess, even though I clearly don't want him and vice versa. I suppose I remember how he made me feel for a time there. (I used to sneak out of the house and hang out in his pool room all night, where we shared our deep, tortured, [usually] repressed young desires.)

His reply:

The 2nd generation fact was definitely not lost on me. Making the question of "how will I trust my kids when I know how I was at that age?" even tougher is the fact that a key component of our planned renovation / addition means there will definitely be a pool room that sits somewhat separated from the rest of the house...

A range of emotions shot through me:

1). Bless his heart for flirting with a bloated pregnant woman (even if it is by e-mail, from 3,000 miles away).
2.) Holy s---! We're moving to Zimbabwe when this kid turns 14...!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home